Turning on the Tap

For most people who live in developed countries, access to clean water is easy. For over a century, we’ve had the luxury of being able to turn on a faucet and getting clean water for cooking, cleaning, bathing, and drinking. When water is this accessible, its easy to forget where it’s coming from. Here are a few facts in statistics to consider next time you turn on the tap:

Nearly ONE BILLION people around the world don’t have access to clean drinking water

Only 1% of the total water resources on Earth are available for human use: the other 99% is made up of salt water or fresh water frozen in glaciers

Two-Thirds of the world’s population is projected to suffer from water scarcity by 2025

The average American uses 100 gallons of water per day, but the average person only needs 5-14 gallons to cover their basic needs

More than half of the United States’ population lives in cities with vulnerable water supplies.

Flushing toilets can add up to 20 or more gallons of water used per day

Reducing your shower time can conserve between 2.5-10 gallons of water per minute

Nearly one out of every five deaths under the age of  five worldwide is due to water-related diseases

So, next time you go to turn on the tap, remember to limit your water consumption. With such a small supply of clean drinking water available on the planet, it is essential that we conserve our resources for the sake of the planet as well as other people around the world.

-Molly Bee

 

Information collected from thewaterproject.org and epa.gov

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s